Tajikistan's border crossings & flights: how to get in and out
Tajikistan is a landlocked country bordered by Uzbekistan in the west, Kyrgyzstan from the north, China from the east and Afghanistan in the south. There are several open borders with each country. Two major airports in Tajikistan have international connections, Dushanbe International Airport (DYU) and Khujand Airport (LBD). Below is the information on flights and border crossings to get in & out of Tajikistan.
Flights from Europe to Dushanbe:
· Frankfurt. There is only one direct flight available from Frankfurt, Germany operated by Somon Air every once in a week on Saturday.
· Istanbul. The most popular and used connection flight from Europe to Tajikistan is via Istanbul, Turkey with Turkish Airlines which has 3 flight in a week to Dushanbe. Another reason Turkish Airlines is a convenient and maybe cost saving is the fact that it has flights to all Central Asian capitals, so one can get into one city and out from a different with the same airline.
Flights from Asia to Dushanbe:
· From Delhi: National Tajik flight operator Tajik Air operates flight to Delhi once in two weeks on Tuesdays
· From Almaty: Kazakhstan's Air Astana and Somon Air operate flights from Almaty almost every day.
· From Tashkent: Uzbekistan Airlines started operating flights from Tashkent to Dushanbe once in a week on Tuesdays.
· From Bishkek: There are flights from Bishkek to Dushanbe and back on Tuesdays and Sundays operated by Tajik Air and Kyrgyzstan's Aviatraffic
· From Moscow: Somon Air from Domodedovo Airport and UtAir from Vnukovo airport operate flights every day.
· From Urumqi, China: China Southern Airlines and Somon air operate flights from Urumqi to Dushanbe on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays.
· From Iran: Iran's Aseman Airlines operate flights from Mashhad on Thursdays and Tajik Air from Tehran to Dushanbe on Sundays
Domestic Flights in Tajikistan:
· Khujand: Somon Air operates flights from Dushanbe to Khujand and back almost every day.
· Khorog: Tajik Air operates flights every day, however, it happens only if there are enough people and weather permits. The flight may get canceled at any time, even right before the flight if weather changes.
Border crossing points in Tajikistan: get in & out by land (map)
Tajik border to & from Uzbekistan
1. Oybek or Buston: Tashkent to Khujand - 165 km| The border operates 24/7 and Open for foreigners. Taxi services available on both sides during the day. No man's land distance - 100 m.
2. Penjikent: Samarkand to Penjikent - 73 km | This border is closed at the moment, however, planned to open around March 21st, 2018.
3. Tursunzade: Denau to Dushanbe - 107 km | The border operates 24/7 and Open for foreigners. Taxi services available on both sides during the day. No man's land distance - 1,5 km.
Tajik border to & from Kyrgyzstan
4. Kyzyl Art: Sarytash to Murgab - 227 km| The border operates during the day and Open for foreigners. The border is in a remote mountainous area without people and villages around. No taxi services available on both sides. Taxi can be hired from Osh in Kyrgyzstan or Murgab in Tajikistan. No man's land distance - 34 km.
5. Kyzyl Bel or Isfara: Batken to Isfara - 23 km | The border operates during the day and Open for foreigners. Taxi available in Batken, Kyrgyzstan and Isfara, Tajikistan. No man's land distance - 500 m
6. Karamyk: Sary Mogul to Obi Garm - | The border is closed for foreigners.
Tajik border to & from Afghanistan
7. Panji Poyon: Kunduz to Dushanbe - 243 km | The border operates during the day and Open for foreigners. Taxi available from Dusti town in Tajikistan and from Kunduz in Afghanistan. No man's land distance - 200 m (a bridge)
8. Ishkashim: Khorog to Eshkashem - 110 km | The border operates during the day and Open for foreigners. Taxi available from Khorog in Tajikistan and Kabul, Afghanistan. No man's land distance - 200 m (a bridge)
Tajik to & from China
9. Kulma: Kashgar to Murgab - 300 km | Tajik Officials claim the border is open, but the Chinese embassy in Dushanbe did not comment on its status. However, many travelers have passed through. The border on both sides works Mon-Fri apparently from 12 am to 5 pm and is closed during Chinese and Tajik holidays. No Taxis, shops or exchange offices available on both sides of the Border. For transportation, you should hire a taxi from Murgab or from Tashkurgab of China if you are coming to Tajikistan. At the border, you should be using trucks to cross.
Visa & Permits
Most countries need a visa to enter Tajikistan, unless exempt. Check if you need a visa to Tajikistan. An electronic visa introduced in 2017 is easy and fast to get. It can be obtained in 1-3 days along with GBAO permit after you submit your application online (www.e-visa.tj). Once issued the visa can be used at all borders.
To visit the Pamir and drive on Pamir Highway which crosses through the GBAO (Gorno Badakhshan Autonomous Oblast) you need a GBAO permit! You can simply apply and pay for it at the same time you apply for your E-visa with additional 20$ payment. If you don’t apply for the GBAO permit with your visa you’ll have to waste time attaining it from the OVIR - Police office in Dushanbe.