Volcanoes of Kamchatka: trekking around Tolbachik
Witness the highlights of the legendary remote peninsula and sneak into its rarely visited corners. This comprehensive 15-day itinerary is tailored for keen trekkers and lovers of wild camping whilst remaining perfect for first-time visitors to Kamchatka.
- Immerse into pristine nature during 9 days of self-supported trekking and responsible wild camping among the volcanoes, at the heart of a UNESCO World Heritage national park.
- Take in the otherworldly scenery: volcanic deserts, lava caves, an eerie dead forest and green dales with surreal lava outcrops. Peek into the enormous crater of dormant Tolbachik volcano at 3,050m, climb active Bezymianny, wade across a rough river and be seriously amazed by bubbling mud and roaring sulfur vents at Mutnovsky volcano.
- Observe the wildlife including bears, foxes, marmots, eagles, cormorants, puffins, seals and orcas.
- Relax on the Avacha bay cruise, marvel at marine bird colonies on Starichkov islet, try your hand at sea fishing and taste sea urchin caviar. Soak in natural hot springs and contemplate sunset over the Pacific while walking along the endless beach of black sand.
- Visit history and culture museum in the city. Get a first-hand account of life in modern Russia through meeting locals in villages. Better yet, become a local sweating in a traditional steam bath (‘banya’). Then stock up with smoked salmon, red caviar and crab at the local market before your flight home.
You can join our fixed dates trip on 7-21 July 2019!
Alternatively, bespoke dates from June until September are possible for private groups of more than 5. Discounts for couples and groups are available.
Do not be put off with flight costs to Kamchatka: there are certain tricks to it, please enquire.
- Trek around Tolbachik, ascents of Plosky Tolbachik and Bezymianny volcanoes.
- ATV trip to Mutnovsky volcano caldera.
- Sea cruise from Avacha bay to Starichkov islet.
- A daytrip to the Pacific, Petropavlovsk city walk and a visit of a local museum.
- Twin accommodation throughout the program. This means hotels, hostels or apartments with shared bathroom in towns, cabins in Kozyrevsk village and 2-person tents in the field.
- Private transfers by comfy minibuses, formidable military ATVs and serious monster trucks.
- Premium quality freeze-dried rations cooked by the guide and healthy snacks. Yes, we take food seriously! Home cooked full board (we don’t promise caviar!) on the arrival day, snacks during transfers and breakfasts in the city.
- One text message per day from Delorme satellite communicator to anywhere in the world (mobile coverage in the area is non-existent).
- Paperwork: national park permit, visa registration, visa invitation letter (you will need to apply for visa yourself at your local embassy).
- Group equipment: stoves, pots, kitchen tarp and bear deterrent flares.
- One experienced yet non-patronizing guide in love with the area…
For a confirmed booking, a deposit of (10%) is required. Deposit is paid by credit card (secure payment via Stripe, no credit card fees). The remaining balance can be paid in cash upon start of the trip - unless Host & Traveler agree on different payment methods.
Cancellations can be made free of charge up to 30 days prior to the beginning of the booked service. The deposit (10%) is only refundable if the booking is canceled at least 30 days in advance.