İn the our travel to the north west of Azerbaijan firstly we ll visit Diri Baba turbesi .There is a fragment of a ligature, indicating a date – the year 1402, and also a part of the architect’s name – “…the son of ustad Haji” – in one of the squinches. Many legends and myths are connected to this place. Diri Baba mausoleum was decorated with a mosaic and effective ligature by a calligraphist called “Dervish”.There is a unique monument – a two-storeyed mausoleum-mosque of the 15th century called “Diri-Baba”, located opposite an ancient cemetery – on the way from Baku to Shamakhi. For a long time, local residents believed in a legend that a sacred person called Diri Baba was buried here and remained imperishable. However, many legends and mystic events are related to this monument.After we ll go to Castle of Shamakhi. In 1045, Shirvanshah Gubad (1043-1049) pulled a new strong fortification wall from white stone, shrouded in Shamakhi, the main city of Shirvan. The remains of archeologists discovered during excavations in Shamakhy during the Soviet era are the remains of the Shamakhi Ichkala (Bala tower) built by Shirvanshah Gubad. During this period, the new palace complex of Shirvanshahs was built in Bala tower.The Gulustan fortress, the second inner fortress of Shamakhi, was rebuilt in the 12th century.
We ll visit Juma mosque in Shamakhi too.Construction date of the mosque- 743-744 relies on research of a geological coming from Tiflis, which was led by prince Shahgulu Qajar. This date was defined with Arabic ligature on the facade of the Friday Mosque, stating the year 126 according to Islamic calendar as the establishment year.Just in this period the construction of new religious buildings – mosques – was begun in the territory of Azerbaijan. Historical appearance of ancient Islamic architectural monuments was related to Arabs’ governance and spreading of Islam in the territory of Azerbaijan. Friday Mosque of Shamakhi is considered the first mosque in the Caucasusafter cathedral Friday Mosque of Derbent, which was constructed in 734.
After Shamakhi we ll go to Qabala. Firstly we ll visit Castle of Salbir.The fortress of Salbir is the ancient and main part of The Qabala. This historical place was built in 3rd century before our era. This fortress located in 12 hectares.
İnteresting to see Albanian Church too.Cotari Albanian Church (Temple) - The Albanian-Udin Church, the most important historical monument in Nic village of Gabala region, was one of the first propagandists of Christianity (I-II centuries) in Caucasian Albania. The church, built in honor of the holy Yelisey who was the Apostle of Jesus (Jesus Christ) apostles, consists of a large hall and a small towering roof tile roofed over it. The church was built in a quadrangle. In the construction of the church, stones from the mountains of Gabala were used. The stones of these mountains were used not only in the Gabala region, but also in the construction of the Albanian churches in other adjacent areas. There are two more ancient Albanian churches in the village. In 2002, the temple was fundamentally restored. At the temple, Udis are now used to carry out religious ceremonies.
2nd day we ll visit Shaki city and Kish Albanian Church.According to the 7th century Armenianhistorian Movses Kaghankatvatsi, in the 1st century AD St. Elishe, a disciple of Thaddeus of Edessa, arrived to a place called Gis (Գիս), where he built a church and recited a liturgy. The church became the "spiritual center and the place of enlightenment of people of the East". On his way from Gis St. Elishe was killed near the pagan altar in the small Zerguni valley by unknown people.According to the Armenian historian on architecture Samvel Karapetian, the geographical position of Kish does not seem to match that described by Kaghankatvatsi. Karapetian believes that they have identified Gis as the village of Bomen/Bum 60 km to the south-east of Kish, in Gabala district.
İnteresting to see castle of Gelersen Gorersen too.Construction of the fortress is dated back to the 8th or 9th century. Gelersen-Gorersen was thoroughly consolidated and was used for defense. In translation from Azerbaijani language the name of the fortress means “will come-will see”. An interesting episode from the history of Shaki Khanate is connected to it. When the ruler of Iran, Nadir shah, attacked Shaki Khanate in the 8th century, Haji Chalabi, khan of Shaki Khanate, secured in the fortress. When Nadir shah offered him to give in, Chalabi answered: “You will come and see”. Infuriate Nadir shah, who was not expected such an answer, decided to capture the fortress by force. In 1744, the shah approached the fortress with a great army, but couldn’t capture it and fell back. Since then the fortress was famed as Gelersen Gorersen.İ want to talk about Juma Mosque, that on the way.The mosque was constructed in the 18th–19th centuries and consists of arches, columns and a hall, divided by stones and wooden sections. The minaret is the main part of the mosque. It is 28.5 meters high and is located several meters apart from the mosque. Palace of Shaki khans. This palace was nominated for list of World Heritage Sites UNESCO. This palace were built 1790-1797.Along with its pool and plane trees, the summer residence is the only remaining structure from the larger palatial complex inside the Sheki Khans' Fortress, which once included a winter palace, residences for the Khan's family and servants' quarters. It features decorative tiles, during the eighteenth century. Many of the frescoes feature flowers in vases, while a series of paintings on the first floor halls depict hunting and battle scenes.After our tour will continue to the Shaki Caravanserai-historical complex. in Shaki is two magnificent caravanserai which reached present days and traditionally named Yukhari and Ashagi caravanserai, which means Upper and Lower caravanserai.