Kol Suu Jeep Trip from Naryn City
Kol Suu is a spectacular glacial lake set in a rocky canyon whose shear sides drop almost straight down into the lake. It's difficult to get to, but is one of the most beautiful spots in all of Kyrgyzstan. It is located in the southeast of Naryn Oblast, near the Chinese border.
The lake lies behind a natural dam and is ~ 17 km long. There are several springs at the base of the dam that are the source of the river that runs through the valley leading up to the lake. Because the walls of the canyon that holds the lake are so shear--at least at the northern end--it's not possible to explore very much of the lake on foot. And because there is a narrow bend in the lake at the north end, visitors see only about 20% of the lake from that end.
Because the lake is near the Chinese border, anyone going there needs a special permit. The officials at the checkpoints also check for passports, so if you go, take your passport with the permit.
Elevation: 3,524 meters
Click on this link to watch a short film about my tours.
Day 1: Meeting in Naryn and drive to Kok Kyia valley
● Your driver will meet in Naryn city at 9 am and start driving to Kok Kyia valley. You will be able to enjoy the rough roads and the beautiful pastureland of Bosogo and cross the Kaingdy pass, leading to Ak Say valley.
● Once you enter the controlled area next to the border of China and have to cross a military checkpoint, lost in the middle of nowhere.
● Arriving in the afternoon at Kok Kyia valley where you will meet Meder and his lovely family, our hosts for the night. Night in the yurt.
Driving time: 5-6 hours
NOTE: You have to be in Naryn the day before the trip starts. Naryn is easily reachable by public transportation.
Day 2: Horse-riding to Kel Suu lake
● After breakfast, now it’s time to saddle up and ride to the stunning Kel Suu lake. The lake is a natural dam lying between vertiginous sharp cliffs. You will be able to enjoy a picnic next to the lake or near one of the wild caves near Kol Suu.
● There are many birds of prey in this area, as well as ibex, foxes, and marmots. They are quite easy to observe as this environment offers them an ideal living place far away from towns and villages.
● Once you come back to Meder’s house you will be able to share bottomless cups of tea with your host. Night in the yurt.
Driving time: 0 hours
Horseback Riding time: 5 to 7 hours
Day 3: Driving from Kel Suu Lake to Tash Rabat
● After breakfast, you will be able to say good-by to your hosts and make your way to Torugart Pass on the accent silk road.
● After leaving the border zone you will be able to see the Chatyr Kul lake and maybe it’s even possible to see a few migrating birds from Russia heading south or north depending on the time of the year.
● The next stop for the day will be in Tash Rabat where you will be greeted by your hosts in the Yurt Camp on the real Silk Road.
● Your guide will show you the Carananserai from the 10th- 15thCentury.
● If you wish to enjoy a short hike from the Yurt Camp as you guide which peak is a good one to reach from the Yurt Camp.
● Tonight will be spent in the Nomadic Yurt Camp in Tash Rabat.
Driving time: 5 hours
Day 4: Driving from Tash Rabat to Naryn City
● After breakfast, you will be able to say good-by to your hosts.
● It’s possible to take as many pictures as you wish on the road out of Kol Suu and capture the wild landscape that Kyrgyzstan has to offer.
● The final dentation will be in Naryn City where you will have the chance to take public transport to just about anywhere in the country.
● Here at Indy Guide, we hope you enjoyed your 3-day trip to Kol Suu.
Driving time: 3 hours
Cost for the 4-day tour Naryn to Kol-Suu to Tash Rabat to Naryn:
2 people = 692 dollars per person.
3 people = 537 dollars per person.
4 people = 462 dollars per person.
It's possible to extend this day tour with other tours in the Naryn area or a small part of a bigger tour throughout Kyrgyzstan. If you were to add The Shaar Waterfall horse tour and the Sun Kol back door jeep tour you would be blown away from the realness of Naryn!
• Transportation to and from planed trek.
• Russian and Kyrgyz speaking driver.
• Russian and Kyrgyz speaking horseman.
• Food and Yurt Accommodations.
• Border zone permit.
• Transpiration from Bishkek to the start of the trek (I can book you a tour Bishkek to Bishkek for an additional cost)
• Alcoholic drinks
• Bottled water during the trek
To enjoy this tour, make sure to bring:
• Sun cream / Sunglasses
• Sleeping bag
• Water at least 2 L
• Backpack 35-40 L
• Warm and waterproof clothing
• Trekking boots / Trekking Poles
Season: The best time to book this tour is from late April to late October.
*All guest are responsible for buying their own medical insurance and their own medical kit with them.
Testimonials from my guest:
Before traveling to Kyrgyzstan last summer, I contacted Alex with a number of questions about hiking in the far-eastern area of the country. The internet seemed to mostly have only old/outdated information. If I was going to hike in the remote Tien Shan mountain range, I needed up-to-date, accurate data.
David 36 American
For a confirmed booking, a deposit of (10%) is required. Deposit is paid by credit card (secure payment via Stripe, no credit card fees). The remaining balance can be paid in cash upon start of the trip - unless Host & Traveler agree on different payment methods.
Cancellations can be made free of charge up to 30 days prior to the beginning of the booked service. The deposit (10%) is only refundable if the booking is canceled at least 30 days in advance.