Duration of the trip: 12 days/ 11 nights
Highlights: Naryn, Bosogo jailoo, Kel Suu, Tash Rabat caravanserai, Issyk Kul Lake, Song Kul Lake hiking, trekking, horse riding, paddling, and nomadic lifestyle.
Number of days: 12
Start Date: Jul 12, 2019
End Date: Jul 23, 2019
12 July, Day 1: Meeting in Bishkek and drive to Shaar Valley
● Meeting with your guide at the airport, transfer to Bishkek. Rest, taking shower. After lunch, we visit Bishkek and then transfer to Shaar Valley, which located in Naryn region. This is a calm, headend and relaxing place, nature here is amazing. Overnight in the guesthouse.
Driving distance: 340 km
Driving time: 5 hours
13 July, Day 2: Drive from Shaar to Kok Kyia valley.
● In the morning we start driving to Kok Kyia valley. We drive through the beautiful pastureland of Bosogo and cross the Kaingdy pass, leading to Ak Say valley.
● We enter the controlled area next to the border of China and have to cross a military checkpoint, lost in the middle of nowhere.
● We arrive in the afternoon at Kok Kyia valley where we meet Meder and his lovely family, our hosts. Night in the yurt.
Driving distance: 175 km
Driving time: 5-6 hours
14 July, Day 3: Horse riding to Kel Suu Lake
● After breakfast, we ride to the stunning Kel Suu lake. The lake is a natural dam lying between vertiginous sharp cliffs. Picnic next to the lake.
● There are many birds of prey in this area, as well as ibex, foxes, and marmots. They are quite easy to observe as this environment offers them an ideal living place.
● We come back then to Meder’s house. Night in the yurt.
15 July, Day 4: Exploration around Kel Suu Lake
● Today we go exploring the region, to observe the wildlife.
● This is a very wild and remote region. The wildlife is very active but difficult to observe despite the fact that no families are living on this side of the lake.
● We hike back to Meder’s house. Night in the yurt.
16 July, Day 5: Back to Tash Rabat
● We leave Meder and his family in the morning and drive back towards Tash Rabat.
● We drive by the city of At Bashi, where you can get what you need for the continuation of your trip.
● We arrive at the caravanserai of Tash Rabat in the
afternoon. Visit of the 15th-century caravanserai.
● Dinner and night at Nazira’s yurt camp, next to the caravanserai.
Driving distance: 230 km
Driving time: 6-7 hours
17 July, Day 6: Tash Rabat caravanserai – Song Kul Lake
● Morning drive to the lake Song-Kul. If the weather allows us, we will go through jailoo Ortho-Sirt. Baetovo descent to the village, where we will buy livestock for the picnic.
● Arrival at the Song-Kul Lake in Moldo-Ashu Pass (3320 m.) Song-Kul Lake, the jewel of the Heavenly Mountains, the edge of the nomads, located on 3016 meters above sea level.
● Arrival in yurt camp, accommodation and a walk in the camp. Dinner and overnight in a yurt.
Driving distance: 271 km
Driving time: 5-6 hours
18 July, Day 7: Song Kul – Karakol
● Morning drive to the Karakol city via south shore of Issyk Kul lake. Visit on the way a stunning Skazka Canyon.
● Lunch in Bokonbayevo. Overnight in the guesthouse in Karakol.
Driving distance: 400 km
Driving time: 6-7 hours
19 July, Day 8: D1 – Karakol – Sirota Campsite
● In the morning, short transfer to the Karakol Leskhoz (Karakol National Park) ~15min (20km).
● The hike to Sirota campsite ~5-6 hours (22km). You will be walking alongside the river for ~3 hours (11km) and then cross a bridge with a cable and trek up the valley to the campsite. You will be able to see Tien-Shan pine trees and the Karakol River flowing with glacier water.
● Overnight in the tent (Elevation: 2700m).
20 July, Day 9: Sirota Campsite – Ala-Kul Lake
● Leaving the campsite, you will summit Ala-Kul Lake (3600m) in ~2-3 hours (4km).
● Enjoy a short hike around the lake and it’s also possible to make a summit at one of the nearby peaks. During winter, Ala-Kul freezes solid and it’s still a mystery how deep the lake is. Beware at night the temperatures fall below 0 C.
● Overnight in the tent. (Elevation: 3500m).
21 July, Day 10: Ala-Kul Lake – Altyn Arashan
● Leaving the campsite, you will summit Ala Kul pass (3860m) ~2 hours. Then you will descend to Keldike gorge where you will find the Altyn Arashan Yurt camp/Accommodation ~4-5 hours (15km).
● Be aware that the Ala-Kul pass is very steep with many loose rocks and can be dangerous without a guide.
● Overnight in the Altyn-Arashan guesthouse. Excellent opportunity to swim in hot springs. (Elevation: 2500m).
22 July, Day 11: Altyn Arashan – Karakol
● Leaving the campsite Altyn –Arashan you hike down to Aksu Village ~3-4 hours (16km). The trek down is very enjoyable after the last three days of uphill trekking.
● Once you are in Aksu our driver will be waiting for us to drive to Karakol ~30min (18km).
● City tour in Karakol. Lunch and dinner at the national restaurant. Overnight in the guesthouse.
23 July, Day 12: Karakol – Bishkek
● After breakfast drive back to Bishkek.
● Accommodation at your hotel. Farewell dinner. Flight back home with the head full of memories... at least we hope so!
Driving distance: 420 km
Driving time: 7 hours
Price per person:
3-pax: 1,694 us dollars
4-pax: 1,485 us dollars
5-pax: 1,355 us dollars
Organization of the stay
All transfers in vehicle incl. from/ to airport
Еnglish speaking tour guide
Full board incl. drinking water
Accommodation described in the program
Carrying luggage during trekking and horse riding (Porters are reasonable for caring 15 kg of equipment of your equipment and food)
Rent camping equipment (tents, mats, kitchen utensils), except sleeping bag
All the visits indicated in the program
Entry fees at national parks or nature reserves
Entry fees at museums mentioned in the program.
National or regional flights specified in the program.
Price does not include:
Insurance repatriation and CR insurance
International airfare and taxes;
Alcohol or sweetened mineral water;
Additional services not mentioned in the program;
Rental of personal equipment (ATV, sleeping bag, water bottle, flashlight, etc.)
Additional costs due to personal problems (health, loss of luggage, etc.).