Trekking in Tian Shan is more than adventure...It is about great experience guided by experts, within reach!
Minimum number of participants: 2 persons
Season: mid June - October
Duration: 5 days, 4 nights
Average walking time per day: 6-7 hours
Altitude difference: 1700m-3400m
Weather conditions: +15°С…+24°Сduring a day, +3°С...+8°Сin the night
This route passes by the upper reaches of the Turgen River and covers several geographical zones: from mixed forests in the beginning, then through the coniferous forests further to alpine meadows, and finally reaches the glacial zone at a height of 3500m ASL. At the beginning of the journey you will meet the local nomads with their herds of horses, and can get acquainted with their way of life. A variety of landscapes will change every day as you go up. On the first day the route passes through the Kairak waterfall (45 m high) and a first camp will be set in the area of upper timberline. The next camp will be set up at picturesque lake. Radial hikes will be taken to the glacier of the Mountain Institute and the moraine lakes of the Shepturgen canyon. This is a wild area with no infrastructure at all: such wild animals like deer and mountain goat can be met here.
Day 1: Drive Almaty - gorge Turgen - Batan - 2.5 hours. Hike up following the Turgen River, to the confluence with the Kairak River - 2.5 hours. Move further along the Kairak River, passing by the waterfall, up to a suitable camping glade - 2 (3) hours. Overnight in tents at a height of 2250m (camp 1).
Day 2: Breakfast and camp packing. Passage through the Temirtas tract along the timberline, to the upper reaches of the Turgen River, 6 hours. Overnight in tents at a height of 2700m (camp 2).
Day 3: Breakfast. Radial hiking to the glacial lakes which located at a height of 3400m. The trail passes through a zone of alpine meadows. Return back to the same camp at 2700m. 6-7 hours of hiking in total.
Day 4: Breakfast. Radial hiking on the glacier of the Mountain Institute. The path begins without a trail along the terminal moraine, and leads to the glacier where one can see the whole diversity of the glacial relief. Return back to the same camp at 2700m. 6-7 hours of hiking in total.
Day 5: Breakfast and camp packing. Descent to the valley by the trail along the Turgen River, up to Batan village, 7 hours. Transfer back to the city 2 hours
- $540.00 per person in a group of 2-3
- $495.00 per person in a group of 4-8
The price includes:
- transport from Almaty city to the start place and back
- mountain guide(s) services
- National park fees and permissions
- rent of bivouac equipment: living tents, portable gas kitchen gear, tableware etc.
- foodstuff for all the period of trek
- safety in trek: emergency satellite connection, GPS monitoring with GPS spot
The price does not include:
- porter services. It means that all the weight of common gear (like tents, food, gas etc.) will be divided between all the members including guides, and will have to be carried all together
- rent of personal clothes, boots etc.