Be ready for the trip of your lifetime and join an eagle hunter to the Golden Eagle Festival 2018 in Ölgii, Western Mongolia.
It's the ultimate experience you'll never forget.
Every year the eagle hunters of the Altai Mountains in western Mongolia take part in a competition to show which of the competing 90 to 100 eagles is the best in speed, agility, beauty and hunting skills. The festival takes place outside of the city Bayan-Ulgii for two days. The eagle competition is enriched with horse races, camel races and many more traditional ceremonies. Be part of this magnificent festival with one of its very own competitors. Hunter Dalaikhan is a multiple champion of the yearly golden eagle festival. Get to know him and his family at their home and accompany him on his three day ride to the festival. Enjoy the competitions on his side along with his eagle hunter friends from Altai. It's a two weeks trip (customizable):
- Day 1-2 Arrive in Bayan-Ulgii and explore the city Fly to Bayan-Ulgii (flight arranged by you) the capital of Western Mongolia. You will be picked up at the airport by your guide and brought to your homestay accommodation. Visit the city (museum, market, park, viewpoint and mosque).
- Day 3-4 Visit the village Altai Sum and meet the eagle hunter family Drive by a Jeep to the village Altai Sum (approximately four hour drive). Meet Dalaikhan, eagle hunter champion, and his family at their home. See the eagles in training, ride horses and enjoy the nomadic life style. Sleep with the family in their yurts.
- Day 5-8 Ride with the eagle hunters to the festival Ride with the eagle hunters and their eagles on their horses to the festival. The journey will take three days. You will be riding your own horse and sleep in tents or yurts on the way. Your bags will be transported by car to the camping sites. If you don’t want to ride a horse, you can drive to the festival by car.
- Day 9-10 Enjoy the Golden Eagle Festival Enjoy two unforgettable days at the festival. Visit the opening ceremonies, the different competitions, and the awards ceremony. At night there will be a traditional concert in the city. Enjoy a good dinner, hot sauna in the evening, and sleep at a homestay accommodation in Ulgii.
- Day 11 Depart from Ulgii Stay some extra days in Western Mongolia or fly back to Ulaanbaatar from Ulgii (flight arranged by your).
What to expect? Expect a unique experience with local people. They may not speak good English but their hospitality is therefore even more exceptional. Be prepared that the program may vary due to circumstances e.g. weather. You will stay with this people at their homes and be a part of their family. Their hospitality is exceptional. This is the right trip if you want to experience the real life of the Kazakh people and if you do not mind to participate in their culture.
What is included? Included are the accommodations each night, three meals a day (local food) and transportation. Not included are personal expenses, additional meals, or extra activities you want to do. Excluded are the flights to Ulaan Bataar as well as the flight or bus to Ulgii.
What to bring? At this time of the year it is already getting colder. Be sure to bring a good sleeping bag, thermo underwear, a warm jacket, good trekking shoes and your camera. Bring clothes you don’t mind getting dirty. Do bring also sunglasses or glasses because rides can be dusty. Electricity, showers, and flowing water might not be always available so be sure to bring an extra charger and your refreshment towels. Also read Indy Guide’s blog about what to bring along for a trip to Mongolia.