Expedition to Kol-Suu lake in Kyrgyzstan
Duration of the trip: 6 days/ 5 nights
Season: from mid-may to mid-September
Maximum 5 travelers
Highlights: Naryn, Bosogo jailoo, Kel Suu, Tash Rabat caravanserai, hiking, trekking, horse riding, paddling, nomadic lifestyle.
During this trip, you will discover one of the most remote treasures of Kyrgyzstan: Kel Suu lake. You will go for an amazing expedition into the wild, trekking around the lake. The wildlife is stunning there and the few shepherds families there will show you the best of Kyrgyz traditional hospitality. This is a unique trip, as you will paddle on Kel Suu lake on expedition boats. A real experience of a lifetime!
Day 1: Meeting in Naryn and drive to Kok Kyia
● We meet in Naryn city at 9am and start driving to Kok Kyia valley. We drive through the beautiful pastureland of Bosogo and cross the Kaingdy pass, leading to Ak Say valley.
● We enter the controlled area next to the border of China and have to cross a military checkpoint, lost in the middle of nowhere.
● We arrive in the afternoon at Kok Kyia valley where we meet Meder and his lovely family, our hosts. Night in the yurt.
NOTE: You have to be in Naryn the day before the trip starts. Naryn is easily reachable by public transportation.
Day 2: Horseriding to Kel Suu lake
● After breakfast, we ride to the stunning Kel Suu lake. The lake is a natural dam lying between vertiginous sharp cliffs. Picnic next to the lake.
● There are many birds of prey in this area, as well as ibex, foxes, and marmots. They are quite easy to observe as this environment offers them an ideal living place.
● We come back then to Meder’s house. Night in the yurt.
Day 3: Trekking from Kok Kyia to Kel Suu lake
● We leave the house of Meder in the morning and walk in Tuyuk Boto valley towards China.
● The local shepherds are frequently using this large valley to move their livestock easily.
● After picnic, we cross the pass of Eshegart (3933m), from where we can see the other end of Kel Suu lake.
● We build our camp next to the lake. Night in tent
Day 4: Exploration around Kel Suu lake
● Today we go exploring the region, to observe the wildlife.
● This is a very wild and remote region. The wildlife is very active but difficult to observe despite the fact that no families are living on this side of the lake.
● In the afternoon we start paddling on the lake to the other shore, where we build our camp for the night. This is the opportunity for us to get along with the boats.
● Second and last night in the tent.
Day 5: By boat across Kel Suu lake
● We dismantle our camp in the morning and start paddling on the lake.
● We enter the narrow gorge. Kel Suu lake is 15km long in total, but only 40m wide at its narrowest point. The 800m high cliffs are massive, and most of the adjacent valleys are still unexplored.
● We stop for picnic, on the shore of the lake.
● Once back at the northern shore of the lake, we hike back to Meder’s house. Night in the yurt.
Day 6: Back to Tash Rabat
● We leave Meder and his family in the morning and drive back towards Tash Rabat.
● We drive by the city of At Bashi, where you can get what you need for the continuation of your trip.
● We arrive at the caravanserai of Tash Rabat in the
afternoon. Visit of the 15th-century caravanserai.
● Dinner and night at Nazira’s yurt camp, next to the caravanserai. End of the program.
● The next day you will be transported to Naryn City where you can easily take a public bus or taxi to Bishkek or any other place in Kyrgyzstan.
● Accommodation described in the program
● Full-board during the whole trip (3 meals per day)
● All transportation in 4WD vehicle from Naryn to Kol Suu to Tash Rabat to Naryn
● Drinking water and tea
● English / French speaking guide
● Local horseboy
● All activities mentioned in the program
● Entrance fees for monuments and
parks mentioned in the program
● Camping equipment (tents, mats, kitchen utensils, gas)
● Boats & lifejackets
● International flights
● Visas (if applicable)
● Travel insurance
● Repatriation insurance
● Alcoholic beverages
● Tips (always optional, but always appreciated)
● Personal expenses
● Rental of personal equipment (sleeping bags, headlamp, bottle etc..) Any charged activity not mentioned in the program
● International banking fees
Price for 2 people: 1,060 dollars per person
Price for 3 people: 850 dollars per person
Price for 4 people: 735 dollars per person
Price for 5 people: 665 dollars per person
Alex is a tour guide par excellence, especially for English-speaking visitors. He is very knowledgeable about Kyrgyzstan, considerate, flexible, and a born problem-solver. Combined with his detailed knowledge of off-the-beaten-path sights and wonders plus his many friendships with locals everywhere, a traveler cannot go wrong picking Alex as a companion. I know because we toured the mountains together for two weeks of glorious fun.
Christen American 65 years old.