Russian Caucasus - home to Europe’s highest mountain, Elbrus.
Elbrus is 5642m and its double-coned volcano is 832m higher than Western Europe’s highest mountain, Mont Blanc. It’s a certified member of the ‘seven summits’ – the highest point on every continent – and is coveted by mountaineers everywhere.
Arrive in Mineralnye Vody in the morning. Transfer to Terskol village at the altitude of 2000m.
On this day the group will get necessary equipment. Instructors will help with packing backpacks and they will make brief on what the group will face during the ascent. At the end of a day we will walk around the village and have a traditional dinner.
First acclimatizing day - walk to the Mount Cheget up to 3100m. There is viewpoint with great views on Elbrus and the Main Caucasus mountains. Return to the hotel.
Acclimatization walk in the Terskol Valley up to the Observatory, 3100m. On the way we will pass the waterfall, called "Devichi Kosy". Return back to the hotel.
We will take all our belongings and go up to the Barrels hut using cable car. Then we will have acclimatization walk up to the Priut 11 at 4100m. This day we will learn crampon walking technique and how to use ice-axe (walking and self-arresting on the slope). Overnight in the Barrels hut (3800m)
Early rise. Acclimatization up to 4600m – 4800m. This is to ensure that the body turns on the adaptation mechanisms for ascent to the top. Return to the camp. Overnight at 3800m
Rest day. We will spend this day in the summit camp. Good rest is the key to a successful ascend. We will prepare all the necessary equipment for the next day. Bedtime will be around 18:00. Overnight at 3800m
Summit day. This is the most important and the most difficult day of the expedition. Wake up at 00:00. We will have 1.5 hour to prepare for the ascend. We will be picked up to 4600m by snowcat. Then it will take us about 6-10 hours to ascend the highest peak in Europe. We will descent by snowcat to the camp at 3800m
Reserve day in case of a bad weather. Weather in the mountains is very unstable and changeable, so the reserve day is needed for a successful ascent to the top of Mount Elbrus.
In case we have extra days, we will spend those exploring Caucasus culture and kitchen at the Terskol village.
Descent by cable car to the Terskol village, departure to Mineralnye Vody
- All transfers within the program.
- Guesthouse in Terskol (3 nights)
- Barrels hut at 3800m (5 nights)
- English-speaking guide
- Cook service
- Food (during the accommodation in camp at 3800)
- Personal package of snacks for the whole trek (sweets, nuts, etc.)
- Group climbing equipment (icebreakers, ropes, GPS-navigation, first-aid kit, satellite communication)
- Certificate (on your successful climb)
- Cable car (within the program)
- Snowcat (snowmobile) on summit day
- Registration in the Ministry of Emergency Situations of Russia
- Rental of personal equipment (crampons, ice-ax, climbing harness + carbines, clothes, shoes, helmet)
- Way to Mineralnye Vody and back
- Medical insurance
- Food in cafes and restaurants
- Other expenses